Sunday, April 3, 2011

Framing

Framing is how one sees/perceives a certain situation, and each person's framing is different from another's because of their individual experience. It's what surrounds a specific point and it's the way we categorize things. For example, if you say the word "cat" you think of other related words or scenarios like 'pet', 'litter box', 'meow mix', 'collar', 'cost', 'vet', 'neutered', 'kittens', etc... These are the surroundings that that one specific idea, "cat".

According to George Lakoff, professor of Cognitive Linguistics at the University of California at Berkeley, "language always comes with what is called 'framing.' Every word is defined relative to a conceptual framework." This framework is what influences/shapes/manipulates the public's opinion of the stated idea. This linguistic framework is used for advertising purposes, to lead viewers to a certain implied idea about the given topic. Advertisers frame their product in a way that the language they use manipulates public opinion. In "The Persuaders", a PBS Frontline video program, they use the example of Starbucks. The advertiser's goal for Starbucks is to have the viewer perceive it as a community, a third place to escape to, a place other than work or home. They want Starbucks to be appealing to the public, so they must frame it that way.

Framing relates to my life in that it effects the way I view things. If I am given the idea "California", for example, I automatically think 'home', 'family', 'Encinitas', 'beach', 'warm', and so on. My individual experience of "California" is unique to any others because of my framing that surrounds it. Not everyone grew up in California, therefore their framing might be completely different; they might see "California" more as 'weather', 'warm', 'beach', 'vacation.' It all depends on the individual's unique background and perception.

Framing also plays a big part in my art, ballet. I think framing has a lot to do with one's attitude towards certain situations. If I go into ballet class thinking negatively I am already setting myself up (or framing) for a bad experience. If I go into class or even a ballet performance with a more open mind, I am allowing the framing/surrounding aspects (the mood of the music, the teacher and other students' attitude, the environment...) of the situation decide how I experience it. I also think it is very important to be able to separate myself from, and be able to recognize the framing of the situation. That way if the framing is producing a negative affect it won't effect me. It's all in the power of the mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment